Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Summer is Almost Here!

As finals week wraps up, I am getting anxious to be done with the semester and start my internship with ADM! This summer I was placed in an internship several hours from home and also in a big city. Although I’ll be far away from my show lambs and rural Missouri, I am looking forward to a great new experience.

Being away from home, college, and friends for a summer internship can be challenging. But… what is the best part about a new home is that it is new. New people, new places, new friends, new opportunities.

The most important part about surviving a summer away is to get involved. Sometimes companies have social events that interns can attend. For example, ADM is participating in the Kansas City Corporate Challenge this summer. KCCC is a wide range of sporting activities in which companies all over Kansas City compete. They already asked me to represent the company and be on the golf team, soccer team, swim team, and even run the mile!

My participation in the sports events may be more amusing for bystanders than competitive for the team. But it will give me a chance to be involved. Find a club in the area near your internship. Or take a summer class at a college close by. Before you know it, summer will be gone! But the experiences from a summer internship you will take with you the rest of your life.

-Charlotte Jackson
Sophomore, Agricultural Education

No comments: