Friday, January 30, 2009

Networking is Fun Again!

If you would have told me as a freshman that I would be Facebook friends with my MU professors and employers from my summer internships, I would think you were out of your mind! But that is exactly what has happened. I guess you could say I've experienced networking at the cutting edge of technology.

When I came to college in 2005 I barely knew what Facebook was. More than 550 friends later it seems I can’t go a day, or even a few hours, without logging on to see what everyone is up to, and I know I’m not alone.

So how can students rely on social-networking sites to find mentors in the professional world? During my first internship I was scared to death to be caught on Facebook while at work until a fellow intern called it a “networking” opportunity. What was simply her way of justifying goofing off at work has now become a very acceptable means of communicating with fellow students and industry leaders.

I know you have heard it a thousand times before, but the key here is to be careful about what you put on your profile, or to only allow your professional contacts to see you limited profile. This applies to Facebook, MySpace or any other social networking tool. Just keep it professional.
Becoming friends with professors and industry professionals (or as I like to call them ‘potential employers’) can move you one step closer to bridging the gap between where you are, and those working where you want to be. Drop your ‘friends’ a line now and then to keep you on the top of their list when considering candidates for internships and full-time positions.

Any kind of networking you do is vital to making connections with people that can take your college learning experience far beyond the classroom. So take advantage of every opportunity, it may even be fun!

-Taryn Dameron
Agricultural Education, graduate student
Agricultural Journalism, December 2008 graduate

Stay tuned to the blog for a series of tips regarding Facebook Dos and Don'ts coming soon. Until then, visit CAFNR Career Services for any questions you have in your search for professional success!

No comments: