Monday, January 26, 2009

Answer Carefully

It seems like I always find myself in a bad location with lots of noise when I receive an important call. The best thing to do in those situations, as hard as it may be to resist, is not answer! I love to be known as prompt and easy to contact, but oftentimes it can result in an unprofessional impression if the person on the other end of the call cannot hear you.


For example, being in the Royal Ten this year has presented numerous opportunities for me. As I love to sing, one of those opportunities was a chance to sing the National Anthem at various events. The auditioning group told me they would call me and have me audition over the phone. Because I am so anxious to answer each and every semi-important phone call, I got myself in a jam with my audition. I actually was walking to class, and I ended up singing my National Anthem audition to a bush along the sidewalk!

On top of that, after working in an office this summer as well as now communicating with my boss via cell phone several times each week, I am always nervous when it comes to answering phones. I think everyone has had the awkward phone call before—not sure when to say goodbye, not sure when to answer, nervousness about the content of the conversation.

Well the other day I took a few minutes to google phone etiquette to help ease some of my anxieties, and I found some great techniques that made me feel more comfortable on the phone.

Here they are:
  • Answer promptly (before the third ring if possible).
  • Before picking up the receiver, discontinue any other conversation or activity such as eating, chewing gum, typing, etc that can be heard by the calling party.
  • Speak clearly and distinctly in a pleasant tone of voice.
  • Remember that you may be the first and only contact a person may have with your department, and that first impression will stay with the caller long after the call is completed.
Hopefully now I won’t ever have a bad experience like the one with the audition. CAFNR Career Services offers more advice for students in terms of phone etiquette also. Check out more helpful tips for phone etiquette here.

-Charlotte Jackson
Sophomore, Agricultural Education

No comments: