Wednesday, February 4, 2009

All About Timing

As a December graduate, I get a lot of questions from employers and younger students looking for advantages and disadvantages of finishing school early.

An advantage to early graduation can be a smaller financial burden. I saw an opportunity to pay for one less semester of tuition and really had trouble turning the idea down. I came in as a freshman with 19 hours of college credit, so I didn’t have to cram or anything to get it done.

Some people told me it would help me find a job because fewer people look for jobs in the winter. Others told me it would hinder my job search because fewer companies would be looking for new employees. As it turns out, neither side was right or wrong when I graduated nearly 50 days ago. With our economy, I found a lot of companies weren't hiring, regardless of the season.

Luckily I had considered grad school and since I was graduating in December, I felt it would be an easy transition to start the following January. This ended up working perfectly for the program I chose, Agriculture Education. Staring mid-year allows me to student teach the following spring and finish my masters in a year and a half.

All that said, there is still no right or wrong answer. Spoken like a true politician, I can easily say the best route depends on each student's individual situation. While graduating early can give you a jump start on your career and save you a few bucks, you do miss out on a little of the “college experience”.

Take time to consider your options and find out what fits best for you. Get advice from others, but listen to your personal needs and wants in life. Making this choice can be as personal as the decision you made when choosing a major.

-Taryn Dameron
Agricultural Education, graduate student
Agricultural Journalism, December 2008 graduate

To find out what education and experience you need to land your ideal career, consult the team at CAFNR Career Services. It's never too early to begin your career search!

No comments: