Monday, September 22, 2008

Getting Those Priorities Straight...

It’s about this time in the school year when people start feeling overwhelmed. So take comfort in the fact that you’re not alone. Between the schoolwork, the first week of tests, meetings for various groups, and work, it can often feel like you never stop running.

When I’m trying to balance my schedule, and maintain what sanity I have left, I try to set some priorities for my time. My first time commitment is class. I can’t really cut back on schoolwork or studying, unless I’m ready to get a swift kick out of college.

My second required commitment is work. That income is handy to cover rent expenses and help keep the loans at bay. Lastly, I have time for organizations and I have total control to commit as much or as little time as I want.

That said, I think it is incredibly important to stay involved in at least a couple of organizations. Where else can you expand your career opportunities, build your resume, and meet new friends with similar interests?

Choosing these organizations to join can be a big decision. When I'm looking for a group I try to be selfish and ask myself which organization I'll gain the most from. Why be selfish? Because, if I really enjoy an organization and can see the benefits I’m receiving, then I will be more likely to give my full effort.

So how do you reach the full benefits of organization? By stepping into a leadership position, whether that is an office, committee member, or volunteer. I've learned that limiting the number of organizations I join, allows me to dedicate more time to each one. Focusing my efforts leads to more benefits not only for me personally, but for the organization as well.

Just remember, college is supposed to be a fun, learning experience. So join a few organizations. You'll come to find activities outside the classroom are usually the best learning experiences. Just make sure you don't overdo it. By choosing activities wisely, and using time-management techniques like Charlotte suggested, you'll be able to sit back and enjoy college once in a while.

No comments: